Science Activity Center
THE SCIENCE ACTIVITY CENTRE
The science Activity Centre at Sheetla Vidya Peeth, known throughout the school as SAC, seeks to involve children of the middle school (class 6, 7 and 8) in Science – related practical work in an informal way. In recent years, the work of SAC has been extended to the children of the classes 3,4 and 5 as well.
It is our belief that understanding and experiencing Science does not require formal laboratory-type experiments. In SAC we try to provide opportunities for the children
- To work with their own hands and acquire confidence in handling tools and materials.
- To carry out for themselves simple, improvised experiments – using easily available, inexpensive material – in order to illustrate the facts / laws of science which they study in their theory classes.
- To observe some demonstrations, carried out by their teachers, of experiments which they cannot carry out safely by themselves.
- To develop their skills of careful observation.
- To develop skills of systematic and precise recording.
To develop other skills like measurement, estimation, classification, enquiry – obtaining and using information from a variety of sources, communicating and applying the knowledge learnt to other situations.